Cabernet Chorizo con Sofrito
- RECIPE YEAR: 2019
- RECIPE BY: F.A. Nino's
- YIELD: Serves 4
- PAIRS WELL WITH: Rockpile Cabernet Sauvignon
A delicious bold blend of red and green bell peppers, onion and garlic are united with a mild pork chorizo. The bold but approachable sofrito pairs well with Rockpile Cabernet Sauvignon.
- 1 ancho chile pod
- 1/4 cup red wine, such as Cabernet or Syrah
- 3 tablespoons F.A. Nino's Fire Roasted Red Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground pork
To prepare the chorizo, in a frying pan over medium heat, roast the ancho chile pod until almost charred, about 5 minutes. In a blender, combine the ancho chile, wine, red hot sauce, granulated onion, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic and puree until smooth. Add a few tablespoons water if needed to form a smooth puree. Place the ground pork in a large bowl, add the chile puree and mix well to incorporate all of the liquid. Cover and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours.
- 1 extra-large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
To prepare the sofrito, in a large cast-iron skillet or fry pan over medium heat, combine the onion, bell peppers, garlic and oregano and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
To cook the chorizo, in a large cast-iron skillet or fry pan over medium-high heat, fry the chorizo until fully cooked, then fold in the sofrito. Use as a filling for tacos or burritos, mix with scrambled eggs, or pile on fish, chicken or beef. It's also great over rice or in chili.