Lamb Koftah Kebabs with Fennel and Pecorino Salad
- RECIPE YEAR: 2019
- RECIPE BY: Idit Oz, Oz Catering, San Rafael
- YIELD: Serves 12
- PAIRS WELL WITH: Longboard Syrah
Lamb koftah kebabs are served with a fennel and Pecorino cheese side salad, truffle vinaigrette and a tahini-pomegranate drizzle. Come experience why Israeli cuisine is taking over the culinary world.
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 3 tablespoons grated onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
To prepare the lamb kebabs, using a mortar and pestle or the flat side of a chef's knife on a cutting board, mash the garlic into a paste with the salt. In a large bowl, combine the ground lamb, garlic-salt mixture, onion, parsley, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne pepper, ginger and black pepper until well blended. Form the mixture into 28 meatballs. Form each ball around the tip of a skewer, flattening it into a 2-inch oval; repeat with the remaining skewers. Place the kebabs on a baking sheet, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours. Prepare a medium fire in a grill. Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill the skewers, turning occasionally, until the lamb is cooked to your preferred doneness, about 6 minutes for medium.
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 6 fennel bulbs, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 ounce fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 1/2 ounces Pecorino cheese, shaved
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons truffle oil
To prepare the fennel salad, in a large bowl, combine the celery, fennel, parsley and Pecorino cheese. In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, olive oil and truffle oil. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat.
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water, plus more as needed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- Kosher salt, to taste
To prepare the tahini sauce, in a blender, combine the tahini, water, garlic, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses and salt and blend until smooth. Add more water if needed to reach the desired consistency.
To serve, divide the salad among small plates and top with the lamb kebabs. Drizzle the tahini sauce over the kebabs and serve.