Creamy Leek and Corn Soup
- RECIPE YEAR: 2018
- YIELD: Serves 18
- PAIRS WELL WITH: Hook & Ladder Chardonnay
This rich and flavor-filled soup warms the heart and is perfect for a winter night, paired with Hook & Ladder Chardonnay.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 10 leeks, white portion only, thinly sliced
- 3 pounds shallots, peeled and chopped
- 4 1/2 cups corn kernels (from about 9 ears)
- 3 cups Hook & Ladder Chardonnay
- 2 cups heavy cream, or to taste
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Fennel fronds or fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
In a stockpot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the corn and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Remove about 1 cup of the corn mixture and set aside for garnish. Add the wine to the pot, increase the heat to medium-high and simmer until reduced by half. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Add the stock and return to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Working in batches if needed, puree the soup in a blender until very smooth. Strain the soup into a clean stockpot. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and garnish with the reserved corn mixture and fennel fronds or thyme sprigs. Serve with Hook & Ladder Chardonnay.