Diavola Adobo Spare Ribs
- RECIPE YEAR: 2017
- RECIPE BY: Dino Bugica, Diavola Pizzeria & Salumeria
- YIELD: Serves 4
- PAIRS WELL WITH: Come taste at Locals and find the perfect wine to match your palate!
This beautiful warming Italo-Hispanasian dish celebrates the diversity of our California cultures and the diversity of flavors that are so beautifully complemented by our different wines.
- 2 pounds pork spare ribs, cut into individual pieces by the butcher
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar, plus more, to taste
- 3/4 cup tamari
- 1/2 cup Asian fish sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, plus more, to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 dried pulla chiles
- 2 dried guajillo chiles
- 2 dried ancho chiles
- Chili oil, to taste (optional)
- Cooked sticky rice for serving
In a Dutch oven or other large pot over medium heat, combine the spare ribs, vinegar, tamari, fish sauce, stock, brown sugar, pepper, bay leaves, garlic, onions and chiles and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until the pork is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Skim off the fat from the surface and discard. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Taste the broth and adjust as desired by adding more vinegar, brown sugar or chili oil, to taste. Serve the spare ribs and sauce over sticky rice.