Khinkali Dumplings with Black Mission Fig Tkemali Sauce
- RECIPE YEAR: 2016
- RECIPE BY: Chef Oliver, Oui Catering
- YIELD: Serves 40
- PAIRS WELL WITH: Zin Master
It's Spicy Vines, so our two favorite ingredients to cook with are spice and wine. You'll find both in this delicious dumpling recipe. The key is to prepare the dough and dumpling mixture the night before and let them sit in the refrigerator so the flavors have a chance to mingle. You can also prepare the tkemali sauce in advance. Then you just have to fold and steam the dumplings.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
To prepare the dough, in a large bowl, using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer, mix the flour, water, salt and white pepper until incorporated. Turn the dough out onto a work surface, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- 1 cup finely diced shallots
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrots
- 2 Fresno chiles, seeded, deribbed and finely diced
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground pork shank
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
To prepare the filling mixture, in a large bowl, combine the shallots, celery, carrots, chiles, garlic, cilantro, parsley, cumin, ground lamb, pork, eggs and walnuts and mix well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- 1 cup grilled onions
- 4 cups Black Mission figs, stemmed
- 2 cups Spicy Vines red wine
- 2 Fresno chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
To prepare the tkemali sauce, in a large saucepan, combine the onions, figs, wine, chiles, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, bay leaves, peppercorns and salt. Simmer for 1 hour, then let cool. Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Strain into a bowl and set aside.
Assembly and Steaming
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Remove the dumpling dough and filling from the refrigerator. Place the dough on a cutting board, dust with flour and roll out 1/8 inch thick. Using a 3- to 4-inch ring mold, cut out rounds of dough. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center of each dough round. Brush the edges with the egg wash. Pinch and fold the dough like a beggar's pouch or a traditional Asian dumpling. Place the dumplings in a steamer basket set over a saucepan of simmering water and steam for 10 minutes. Serve the dumplings with the tkemali sauce on the side.