Beef Short Ribs with Hoisin and Asian Slaw
- RECIPE YEAR: 2015
- RECIPE BY: Kristine Bodily-Gallagher
- YIELD: Serves 6
- PAIRS WELL WITH: Here at Locals we have several wines to pair with the recipe
Here, Korean-style beef short ribs are marinated in soy sauce, mirin and other Asian ingredients and quickly grilled, then brushed with hoisin sauce. A refreshing slaw and a big red wine are the perfect accompaniments.
Beef Short Ribs
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 5 pounds Korean-style beef short ribs (also called flanken cut)
In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, soy sauce, water, mirin, garlic and sesame oil. Add the short ribs, making sure the meat is completely submerged in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove the ribs from the marinade and place on a baking sheet. Prepare a medium fire in a grill. Place the ribs on the grill and cook, turning once, for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter.
Asian Slaw and Serving
- 1 English cucumber, julienned
- 1 bunch green onions, julienned
- Leaves from 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shaved radishes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts (optional)
In a large bowl, stir together the cucumber, green onions, cilantro and radishes. Season the slaw with salt and pepper. To serve, brush the ribs with the hoisin sauce and top with the slaw. Sprinkle with the peanuts and serve.